When it comes to going out to eat, there’s no denying that burger and shakes are a popular choice for Americans. There are more than 50,000 burger joints located across the country and burger joints account for 7.5% of all US restaurants.
When it comes to eating burgers, Americans aren’t afraid to gobble them up. Americans eat hamburgers by the billion every year; 14 billion in fact. They account for about 60% of all sandwiches sold and 71 percent of the beef sold in restaurants is sold in burger form.
If you’re a burger fanatic in Houston, Texas who’s looking for authentic hamburgers, here are 10 spots to check out to get your burger fix:
- Shake Shack: Though Shake Shack started as an East Coast chain, its popularity has spread to Houston. It offers authentic hamburgers with all-natural beef and plenty of options for vegetarians.
- Hopdoody Burger Bar: If you’re craving authentic hamburgers, Hopdoody offers fresh ground beef, homemade sauces, freshly baked bread and hand-cut fries. As if that wasn’t enough, Hopdoody offers many other types of meat in burger form, including an Impossible Burger.
- BuffBurger: If you’re local for a local spot with authentic hamburgers, look no further than BuffBurger. The menu features locally grown beef on locally made buns along with a wide variety of unique toppings. If you’re looking for something to compliment your burger, the truffle fries are highly recommended and there are also gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- Flip’n Patties: This place made a name for itself as a Filipino food truck, but now at a brick and mortar location, they’re cranking out tasty burgers as well. If you’re looking for a different kind of burger experience, Flip’n Patties offers Akaushi beef patties on steamed buns. Add a side of their famous Flip’n Fries (double cooked fries with cheese, sauce, your choice of meat and aioli) and you’ve got yourself a heck of a burger experience.
- Bubba’s Texas Burger Shack: If you’re looking for authentic hamburgers at a burger shack, this is the place to go. Bubba’s carries a reputation as having some of Texas’ best burgers and the one all the locals go for is the Vegas Burger, which features a buffalo patty topped with fried egg, cheese, avocado, bacon and a habanero hot sauce. A side of jalapeno potato salad will send your meal over the top.
- FM Kitchen and Bar: If you’re looking for authentic hamburgers, FM Kitchen and Bar keeps it simple. They offers a great patty, a tasty sauce and quality toppings to offer customers a great burger experience.
- Backstreet Café: When you think of authentic hamburgers, you wouldn’t think of a café. But don’t underestimate Backstreet Café. When it comes to burgers, their “Hugo’s Burger” stands out as one of Houston’s best. This offering features a burger with aioli, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese and chiles toreados. Pair your burger with an iced coffee and you’ve got a unique burger experience indeed.
- Rodeo Goat: If you love burger and you’re looking for something truly unique, head to Rodeo Goat. This place offers such creations as cheese fries and goat balls filled with brie and dipped in a blackberry compote. When it comes to the burgers, burger lovers can choose items like candied bacon, habanero cheddar, pickle chutney and grilled peaches to put atop their burgers among other items.
- Elevation Burger Kirby: For authentic hamburgers and healthy ones at that, Elevation Burger Kirby offers a great experience. The beef patties served here are grass fed, organic and free range. There are also plenty of vegetarian and vegan options. For adventurous burger lovers, Elevation Burger Kirby offers a Vertigo Burger made of 10 stacked patties.
- The Burger Joint: This place offers fresh Angus burgers with a variety of worldly options, including the Opa lamb burger and the Kimchi burger. Adding a side of cheese fries or opting for the Smoke Stack Burger, topped with coleslaw, pulled pork and macaroni makes the experience even better.
If you’re looking for authentic hamburgers, these are just 10 of the countless burger options in Houston. Depending on what your tastes are, you may find great burgers and shakes at other spots, but the 10 mentioned above are great places to start if you’re new to Houston.